Health authorities in Vietnam have confirmed the second fatality in the country by the amoeba “Naegleria fowleri”, a body discovered half a century ago and that destroys brain tissue that invades people, local media reported.
The director of the Department of Health Preventive Health Ministry, Nguyen Van Binh, said the second death was a boy of six neighboring Ho Chi Minh City (formerly Saigon).
“The results of laboratory samples of children were positive for Naegleria fowleri amoeba,” said Bihn, the report said “VietnmaNet”.
The first fatality occurred in August and was a 25-year resident in the province of Phu Yen, in the center of the country.
The Health Ministry has warned the public of the danger of swimming in lakes, ponds and thermals, places that offer suitable habitat for this parasite.
Naegleria fowleri usually enters the body through the nose or mouth and, once inside, destroys brain tissue and causes primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, a nearly always fatal disease of the central nervous system.